Yet again, I got a call this morning from my doctor’s office that they’ve made me an appointment for next week with the OB, Dr. A. I sent my boss an email to let him know I’ll have to leave early one day next week and no sooner do I push send, the phone rings again. It’s the nurse, telling me that my appointment is now this afternoon. What the?! So now I walk to my boss’ office and tell him to disregard my email, that I actually have to leave early again today.
E met me at home and drove to the appointment with me. I walked in and told them who I was and that I had an appointment with Dr. A. The nurse says no, my appointment will actually be with Dr. B. and she proceeds to apologize for the confusion this morning. She goes on to explain that Dr. B. saw my chart and said she wanted to see me herself and to call me in today. Hmmm… hopefully this isn’t a bad thing that I’m now seeing someone different than who I was referred to.
I did all the normal prenatal visit testing and then we got taken into an exam room where we waited for Dr. B. She came in a few minutes later and in far more detail than yesterday’s doctor, she explained everything.
I do in fact have a 9cm fibroid that’s sitting directly on my cervix and it’s also sitting right at the blood supply to the uterus. She drew pictures to better explain everything which was a big help. A vaginal delivery at this point is impossible, as the fibroid is blocking baby’s exit route, so I will need to have a c-section. Also, because the fibroid is sitting on the cervix, there’s a chance that it could try to pass through the cervix, which would start labor. Because it’s sitting at the blood supply, it causes a uniquely difficult situation. She explained that I would likely need to have an Interventional Radiologist present because I’m at risk of bleeding out during surgery and an IR would be needed to try to stop it. Actually, how she worded it was that they need the IR present to save my life after they deliver the baby. Also, if they can’t stop the bleeding, I may need to have a hysterectomy.
Our local hospital doesn’t staff an IR so I will likely need to go to a hospital about 45 minutes away that’s better equipped for this type of surgery. This also means that she would need to refer me to another OB that has privileges there.
So here’s where we’re at right now. She’s going to consult with the other OBs in her practice to try to come up with a game plan and she’s also going to set up an appointment for another ultrasound in 8 weeks that will be performed by an OB so that they know what they’re looking at and will be able to get better details of the situation. For now, my care will be transferred to her until we know if I need to be referred to someone else. So I’ll be back in 4 weeks and will hopefully get some more answers then.
This was an emotionally difficult appointment. Although Dr. B. was meeting me for the first time and having to deliver some difficult news, she was awesome. She held my hand and showed so much compassion. I left choking back tears but felt assured that I was in good hands being in her care, for now anyway.
We drove to my parents’ house to share the news with them. My mom took it particularly hard. She was never able to have any more children and I know she always hoped for me to have as many babies as I wanted and the best pregnancies possible. Now I’ve been told I may bleed out on the table, never meet my baby and if I do make it through, I may not be able to have anymore babies. What an emotional blow. You don’t think about things like that happening when you’re having a baby. No one ever said that delivering a baby was a pleasant experience or an easy one but you should be able to easily live through the experience.
We came home tonight and spent most of the night in a daze. I don’t know what to make of this news and I’m still digesting it. I’m looking forward to getting more information at out next appointment though. At least we know about this now and Dr. B has time to come up with a plan and put together a team to make sure I will have the best chances possible.